History of St. Barnabas
St. Barnabas was founded more than fifty years ago as a mission of the Diocese of Texas. With Fr. John McCormick
as its first priest in 1955, it met at South Houston Junior High. As the church membership grew under the leadership of the
Reverends J. Turner Whaley, Ellisworth Stewart, John Knoble and S. Patrick Murphy, it moved first to Bronson Street, then
to its current location in 1966. When the new building was being designed, Fr. Murphy expressed the need to keep it small,
so that it never became so big as to become impersonal. To this day, the parish has followed his wish.
The year it was built, the sanctuary won an architectural award for design.
A day school was also
started under Fr. Murphy's watchful eye and was a thriving school in the community for many years. It has since closed, but
the foundation of education formed during its years of operation still ripple through the community.
Following Fr. Murphy, Fr. Jon Sonnen became St. Barnabas' priest, serving for more than ten years. Fr.
Bill Houghton served St. Barnabas from 1999 as interim rector until the arrival of Link Hullar, lay vicar, in 2007.
On January 9, 2010 Link was ordained a priest in a ceremony at St. Barnabas.
In September 2012, Fr. Link was called by the Bishop to serve another church. The search is on for a new shepherd
to lead St. Barnabas.
In December 2010, Fr. Oscar Huerta joined our staff as Hispanic Missionary and led a Spanish-language service on Sunday afternoons
for more than four years. In February 2014, Fr. Ed Gomez replaced Fr. Huetra, until March 2015, when Fr. Gomez was called
to serve as Vicar at St. Paul's/San Pablo's.